Thursday, May 3, 2007

Hummingbird Sphinx Moth

A moth of wonderful color and pattern. I can't believe people would be afraid of such a harmless moth. I was talking and hanging out with my friends when this beautiful critter came flying abound. Everyone freaked out while I got a laugh out of it. :P As soon as I went over and picked up the moth, everyone said, "What are you doing, are you crazy? I said, "No it's just a harmless moth. It's called a White Lined Moth or also known as the Morning Striped Moth. It's part of the Hummingbird Sphinx Moth Family."

I love large moths, it's amazing the colors and sizes they can be. To think and wonder how these creatures evolved into such magnificent beauties is beyond me? To have such a remarkable design to camofluage themselves, but yet they're so fragile. I love their furry little coats they have surrounding their whole entire body, they're so soft.

This moth flies like a hummingbird. The body stays stout while the wings flap rapidly, they're also called a hawkmoth as well but for what reason I don't know. Mainly active during night time hours they will gather nectar from nearby flowers. One main purpose of these moths is that they are pollenators. If you ever happen to see one, look under their bodies or at their legs and see if there is any pollen, just like a bee. The White Lined Moth grows to an average of about 3 inches in length. Sadly, this moth only lives long enough to morph from a caterpillar into a moth and to be able to breed, the male dies after mating and the female dies shortly after laying her eggs then the whole process begins again next year and so on.

Even though they feed at night and don't live long, I'll occasionally see one from time to time during the day or night. But out of most moths I have to say this is one of my favorite moths here in Texas, I hope to see another one soon. :D

No comments: